My thoughts on THPS5

ENunn · 2 · 13165

Offline ENunn

• ENunn, also known as Ethan. Hey.
    • View Profile
    • My Website/Blog
I was excited when they announced THPS5, everyone was. Tony said it'll bring back the series roots, no bullshit.

Then come September 29, the reviews come in. It's shit. One of the worst games of 2015. Buggy, unfinished, fps issues everywhere, just an overall mess.

I had to wait until November to wait for the PS3 version to come out. Until Activision decided to delay it to fix further problems of the PS4 and Xbox One version. To which I did understand.

So a while before release I said "Fuck the negative reviews! I'll play it for myself and see if its bad!"

Now, its time to give out my thoughts.

So I got the game a few days after release on the PS3 and I ended up recording my first hour playing it. If you want to see it, here is the video.

Now I really don't know if I have changed my opinion since that video.

But I would have to say, its not a bad game, but at the same time its not a good game.

Robomodo made this, to the delight of the THPS community! *sarcasm*

It doesn't feel like a normal TH game but that's expected.

So they have this new thing, the so called "slam button" that slams you to the ground. The problem with that is that first time players find it incredibly difficult to grind because it gets it in their way. I eventually got used to it and I keep it enabled. It's personal preference.

The controls were fucked again in my opinion. Robomodo fixed the L2 R2 to spin by putting them to L1 R1 respectively. However, you can't activate special when you fill up your special meter. You have to press L1. That is so fucking stupid. Why can't Robomodo make it auto activated?! Also, it gets in the way to the left spin button. If you want to spin left if your special meter is filled, too bad. You gotta activate special first. How stupid.

Also, why is there no autokick? TH players prefer pushing automatically. You have to either, press R2 to accelerate, press up to accelerate, or press X to accelerate. That's a pain in the ass but I eventually got used to it.

Before the November update for the next gen versions, the manual meter was fucked. It would automatically go up and down which could eventually lead to bailing for no reason. That was fixed in the update. Now for me, playing the last gen version, I rarely get that bug. I only got it a few times. Not constantly. But other than that, the balance is fine.

The physics aren't really right. It feels the same as HD. Ugh.

I did encounter some glitches, like half the skater under the ground, but I thought those were funny. xD

The challenges are so random, but to be honest, they're repetitive. It's ridiculous.

The level design is unoriginal. School 3 for example, ITS JUST SCHOOL 2!! Just why? How lazy! And also, I fucking hate Asteroid Belt. It has got to be the worst level in THPS history! Oh, and another thing, the best level of the game (according to someone), Mountain, its not in the last gen versions! Like really? Was that necessary? Also, it doesn't have the extra levels from the November next gen update so...idk.

The create-a-skater blows. All you do it edit the body parts of one of the pro skaters. It's kinda limited.

The create-a-park mode, well, I don't know. I haven't used it much so I'm not going to say anything. Although, I tried re-creating the Warehouse but it failed miserably. xD

The soundtrack is a mix for me. Some of the songs I really don't like.

I'm having some fps issues too. It lags while saving. How lame! It also lags in some areas, like parts of Bonfire Beach and Asteroid Belt. It's really annoying.

I don't care about the graphics so don't ask.

Overall, the game is meh. It's not bad but its not good. I would give it a 5/10. It's not the best game ever but its definitely not the worst.

This is my opinion. You don't have to like it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:49:09 pm by ENunn »
idk

Offline sk8ace

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pretty much the same as my thoughts. As a thps4 successor, 3/10. As it's own game, not related to the old games, 5/10.

I put quite a few hours in (mostly leaderboard whoring lol). So I kind of feel like I got some of my money's worth but it still frustrates me.

Robomodo pretty much disappeared this last month. I'm sure they are waiting on Activision to renew (or not renew) the contract with Tony. I made the developers another video in December about improvements on game mechanics (wallie, wallieplant, wallplants and grinds). They got back to me the next couple days clarifying what I had said. I haven't heard from them since.

I think it's all moot at this point. They don't have much a community to keep the game going. They really bombed on the online part. (Disruptive Games)

Anyways, it's a fair review. Thanks for posting!