THPS3 > Thug2/THUGpro model importing?

Sattan · 10 · 18545

Offline Sattan

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
has anybody tried it? i know its not terribly complicated to access the model/texture files in THPS3, but transferring them into THUG/THUG2/THUGpro is currently beyond me. having Wolverine or Doom Guy to play around with would be sweet, though.

Offline Skater1014

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
    • Discord
I have no idea on how to do that.
The THUGPRO devs might be releasing tools soon for this.

Offline Sattan

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
i do hope there are some tools in the works for this, that would be excellent, though i do think its possible as it is.

if i can track down a blender plugin that allows me to import/export THUG2 models(which i believe are .skin format but somebody correct me if im wrong), it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

i think i know how to handle the .tex files(textures are all i really know in regards to this stuff), but .col and .cas files im still not sure about. also i need to figure out what has to happen with the .xbx extension thru all of this. if i understand correctly, .xbx isnt a very important part of it, but i still gotta know what i gotta do to work with it.

Offline LightningSam

• Viva La Sam
    • View Profile
    • Art/Interest Blog
i do hope there are some tools in the works for this, that would be excellent, though i do think its possible as it is.

if i can track down a blender plugin that allows me to import/export THUG2 models(which i believe are .skin format but somebody correct me if im wrong), it would definitely be a step in the right direction.

i think i know how to handle the .tex files(textures are all i really know in regards to this stuff), but .col and .cas files im still not sure about. also i need to figure out what has to happen with the .xbx extension thru all of this. if i understand correctly, .xbx isnt a very important part of it, but i still gotta know what i gotta do to work with it.

The only thing I know for sure, is that the .xbx extension involves the formatting for that particular system. ("ps2" for PS2 and PSP, "ngc" for GameCube and Wii, "xbx" for Xbox and Windows) For starters, a ".tex.ps2" file would be formatted differently from a ".tex.xbx" file, as the .ps2 file is written to be read by Sony hardware, while the .xbx file is written to be read by Microsoft hardware.

Offline %.gone.

• View Profile
Why are you getting hung up on this .xbx it means nothing but the platform these files are intended for and if you understand the data enough to do this the changes between platforms aren't going to make or break a project. The extension you need to be concerned with is the next extension over as THIS IS the particular file format.
The main issue is the skeletons aren't the same. In THPS3/4 they use an X pose where THUG1/2/THAW they use the T pose and the joints are all wrong.
Even IF there were a plugin to do such a thing in a modeling tool such as blender you're going to have a world of trouble getting it to work in game without tons of work.
Then there is the issue of exporting it into a THUG2 compatible format.

This post isn't designed to deter anyone away from this task, but instead inform you that the assumption that all the stars are going to align and you're going to be blessed with tools to do all the work for you without having to do 1)Write or modify your own tools to aide in the task and 2) Lots of work to get it to actually work is a pipedream at best.

.skin's are model format and typically used for skater skinnable objects.
.tex files are a collection of .img files.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:46:12 pm by %.gone. »

Offline Skater1014

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
    • Discord
Quote from: .%gone.
instead inform you that the assumption that all the stars are going to align and you're going to be blessed with tools to do all the work for you without having to do 1)Write or modify your own tools to aide in the task and 2) Lots of work to get it to actually work is a pipedream at best.

I'm not completely 100% assuming that there will be tools but it's kinda been hinted at by Morten & Quazz.

Quote from: Morten
we're currently focusing on converting the remaining thps levels. But custom levels is certainly something that we would like to see in the future.

The end goal would be a user friendly tool-chain for exporting the assets to the game format.

Either in the form of a plug-in for the various 3D editors or an application that can convert from a common 3D model format.
Quote from: quazz
Morten and I have talked about implementing custom level support soon so things like this can be just easily passed around.  I feel that there is interest in some of the wackier level ideas like this, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Offline %.gone.

• View Profile
Quazz doesn't write tools. So if it happens it would be a mix from those who do write tools. Morten or me or anyone that may or may not write future tools.
And my statement stands, you're under the assumption that all the work will be done for you with a few clicks which isn't how it works.
Certainly the job is simplified in comparison to manually editing everything but it isn't exactly as you're thinking and that isn't your fault you're being feed a bit of misinformation. Please grab some more quotes to feel like you have insider information.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:07:50 pm by %.gone. »

Offline Sattan

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
Why are you getting hung up on this .xbx it means nothing but the platform these files are intended for and if you understand the data enough to do this the changes between platforms aren't going to make or break a project. The extension you need to be concerned with is the next extension over as THIS IS the particular file format.
The main issue is the skeletons aren't the same. In THPS3/4 they use an X pose where THUG1/2/THAW they use the T pose and the joints are all wrong.
Even IF there were a plugin to do such a thing in a modeling tool such as blender you're going to have a world of trouble getting it to work in game without tons of work.
Then there is the issue of exporting it into a THUG2 compatible format.

This post isn't designed to deter anyone away from this task, but instead inform you that the assumption that all the stars are going to align and you're going to be blessed with tools to do all the work for you without having to do 1)Write or modify your own tools to aide in the task and 2) Lots of work to get it to actually work is a pipedream at best.

.skin's are model format and typically used for skater skinnable objects.
.tex files are a collection of .img files.

i was aware that the .xbx extension isnt really that important in regards to actually opening the files and has to do with what system the game was intended to run on, what im confused about is how do i add that extension back onto something after i edit it. like, if i were to dig into a .tex file, change a texture around, and save it/run it thru a tool to convert it back into .tex, how do i put .xbx back onto it after that? is it as simple as changing the name back to it, will i be able to export directly over the original file and retain that extension, or is it more complicated than that?

i figured the skeletons between the two games would be a major issue, as THPS3 skaters werent designed with THUG mechanics in mind, in addition to changes between engines in the time between the two. id like to see them side by side just to know how drastic the difference is. though i disagree on the X pose from THPS3, i just opened up Wolverine in Blender and he is definitely in the T pose.

i didnt expect this sort of thing to be easy, im more interested in knowing if theres any real interest in this sort of thing other than from myself, whether or not anybodys tried toying with the models before, and if anybody else has any ideas relating to it. it would be stupid for me to expect to instantly find all of the answers to my questions like this if nobody else has even considered tackling these problems.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:16:13 pm by Sattan »

Offline %.gone.

• View Profile
As long as the underlying data, in the case of a texture for example purposes, is in the proper format then yes it's as simple as changing the name.
In the case of textures, they're a collection of .imgs which are usually a little different per platform. Typically the header is slightly different but also explains what the underlying .img data is.

TH3/4 get their neutral pose from the default animation. So I believe unless you're rigged up properly you're simply seeing the models default positions. I'll gladly accept being wrong.

As for skeletons I haven't looked at a th3 skeleton but I'd assume they're similar to th4 which really only contains bone name, parent names and flip names.
thug1/2 add the quat and vec per bone and thaw adds flip masks list, neutral matrix and vec.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:41:06 pm by %.gone. »

Offline Skater1014

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
    • Discord
Quote from: %.gone.
And my statement stands, you're under the assumption that all the work will be done for you with a few clicks which isn't how it works.
I do know that if there ever were to be tools, it would still be a pain and not just a "few clicks". (It would actually be amazing if tools worked like that.)

Just importing a simple map into THPS3 alone with the tools & plugins is a pain alone nevermind THUG2.