THAW (Console/PC) differences and issues

Guest · 5 · 10569

moemudzi

I've been watching several videos of THAW, and I wanted to see the differences between each port of the game.
-Surprisingly, the OG XBOX version, while not my personal favorite console, has the best port which features better textures, graphics, and builds.

-The PS2 version, however, was downscaled since it wasn't as strong as the OG XBOX at the time. But still, it featured similar builds and controls; the textures were low res. *The PS2 also happened to have an exclusive release with two extra levels and a special character *which were included as a bonus.

*-The Gamecube port is similar to the PS2. Same textures, same features, but obviously different controls. *Surprisingly, the sound effects have about of a slow-mo effect like when you get off/on your board or revert.

-Then comes the PC version (sigh). Where do I begin with this one? I'm pretty sure it was good idea at the time to have Aspyre handle the PC port, but they totally fucked it up. Playable, yes, but it's missing alot of things. Alot of character customization options are either broken or missing. For example, if you go to the barber shop or try to customise your characters hairstyle and facial hair, you will find that the option for the facial hair color is missing. Also, sever anims are broken. I do not know if this happens on the console versions, but when you have no board and you try to climb a ladder, the player's hands tend to stay in place rather than hold on to the handlebars. It feels broken and has alot of things missing, but it is still playable. Is there anything that I missed out or forgot to include?

*BONUS (Might not be true, though...): It was rumored that the game was going to be released on the PSP seeing that THUG 2 Remix was able to be successfully ported to the handheld. *But instead, we got Tony Hawk's Project 8.
*:Edits and Additions.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:30:36 pm by moemudzi »

Offline Chatter

• Upload Approved
  • 19/m/Netherlands
    • View Profile
Poor forgotten little GC...

Sup, I'm Chatter. (HN.Chatter) my Skype is thedudecalledjoris.

My clan is HN. Henchness!

I'm always LF people to play with, also wanna join a clan some day and do wars/competitions and stuff.

moemudzi

Totally forgot about it. I'll be sure to include that soon.

Offline Soaring Wings

• Upload Approved
    • View Profile
    • Youtube

-The PS2 version, however, was downscaled since it wasn't as strong as the XBOX at the time. But still, it featured similar builds and controls; the textures were low res. *The PS2 also happened to have an exclusive release with two extra levels and a special character.

Actually It was only the special edition of THAW on PS2 that had the extra levels (Maraselli and Atlanta). My PS2 version lacked both of those levels.
- DEUS VULT!

Offline burit

• .....slime man
    • View Profile
I used to have the special edition of THAW on PS2 and yeah, all you got that the regular PS2 version didn't was the extra two levels, and two exclusive characters, 1970s Tony Alva and 1980s Tony Hawk. And I guess a video about Jimbo Phillip's artwork. I don't think I even have to say why the PS2 got such preferential treatment.

Also, when you say Xbox, I'm also not sure whether you mean OG Xbox, or Xbox 360, cause it DID come out for that, but AFAIK it wasn't like how different Project 8 or Proving ground were between the sixth and seventh generations, it was most likely just a straight port. Could be wrong though!