Question about ripping XBOX Resources

Offline KOManiacJim

• View Profile
Greetings. I am planning to make a contribution to the THUGPro mod by ripping, converting and programming all of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X onto the game. The question is, how to I rip resources directly from the game disc. An even bigger question is how can I program it so that THUG can do whatever a 2X can once the resources are ripped?

Offline LightningSam

• Viva La Sam
    • View Profile
    • Art/Interest Blog
In order to get the files out of the game, you need to mod your Xbox, rip the game onto the system's HDD, and then transfer the ripped game from the Xbox to your computer. You cannot rip an Xbox game using your computer alone.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it: http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/the-complete-guide-and-faq-to-making-a-xbox-game-backup-look-here-before-making-how-to-threads.331100/

Offline mwb37

• View Profile
You can rip files from a video game disc directly to your computer, but it's a little tricky.  I've only ever done it with Gamecube and Wii games.  You need special software, and it only works with certain disc drives; all of which were made around the year 2002.  The disc drives that work for ripping Nintendo games aren't the same ones that work for ripping Xbox games though.

I'm not sure that you'd need a special disc drive for ripping Xbox games, but I don't know much about it.  I just found this program that claims it can rip files from Xbox 360 discs, without needing a special disc drive.  If it works with Xbox 360 discs, it probably also works with Xbox discs.

I don't know much about ripping video game discs using the system itself, so that might be easier.  If it isn't though, here's a link to a website that has information about and instructions on how to use the program that I found.  It's free software and there's a link to download it right there.  The program is called wxRipper.

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=9165

The developers are probably planning to convert all of the THPS2X levels from THPS3 LevelMod anyways.  If you want to help out with the game, you should contact them first.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:30:12 pm by mwb37 »