IGN article about THPS5.... ugh..

sk8ace · 6 · 18649

Offline sk8ace

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-tony-hawks-pro-skater-5-sees-old-meet-new

1:"the team have added the ability to push when you're playing - gone are the days of desperately jumping up and down to try and muster some speed. Holding down R2 causes you to push off, though you won't be able to achieve max speed this way. As you'd expect, this has also necessitated the creation of a brake ability, which can be found on L2."

So they removed auto-kick? Great. Not only is R2 "push off", it's also Spin right, Revert and switch stance(powerslide)?? L2 is then Spin left, Brake and Fakie/regular. L1/R1 should be spins.

2: "The second major change is to the way grinding works. A popular playstyle used to see gamers hold down triangle as they jumped in order to snap to the nearest rail and start grinding but, thanks to the addition of a new "Slam" move, this isn't an option any longer. Holding triangle will now see you plummet towards the ground. It's a useful ability, designed to enable you to stop yourself overshooting jumps, though as an added benefit it means you need to be much more skillful with your grind timing."

Because we needed help to not overshoot rails. It's called skill and timing. Holding triangle makes to fall??! What is the point of that?!

3: "The final modification is the ability to use your filled Special bar when you wish. Whereas previously it used to trigger as soon as your bar was full, the studio realised this could sometimes frustratingly result in a wasted boost. Now, once the bar is full, it'll remain so until you elect to trigger the benefits by pressing L1"

FFS! Yes, it would trigger when the special meter was full.. from THPS3 - on it at least STAYED special until you bailed! Now we are stuck with a decaying special meter. That gives us, what, 20 seconds per combo to do specials? Do they seriously not realize that good players can combo for more than 5 minutes straight? We brought this up months ago and they have not changed a thing.

My hope is dwindling.

Offline TNT

• Upload Approved
  • TNThps.us
    • View Profile
    • TNThps.us
Yeah, when I read the article I was just like,"Wow, they just shit all over my hopes and dreams."
TNTHPS.us - THPS Modding Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, PC, and more!

Offline The_Con-Sept

• OH NO IT'S...... []Black Magic[]
    • View Profile
My hope isn't dashed just yet. I am sure your speed will still increase with a grind. I will just have to wait and see.

The drop down slam is something I've wanted for a while. Getting off your board worked but it would slow you down.

I am a bit scared of the R2 to go fast. But Tony hawk games always had that option. Didn't they?

Also the create a park I really want to see more in depth. I hope we can finally crate a parking garage type of structure.
[]OH NO IT'S![]
[]Black Magic[]

Offline sk8ace

• Administrator
    • View Profile
From the more recent videos that have been released, it seems that no matter how steep of a grade you are skating on, you will not slow down to a dead stop.

Watch him manual up this ramp going super slow.

R2 is not just for going fast but you have to do it to move forward at all. Its the same as when you turn off autokick on the old games. Your skater would sit there until you tapped square to move.

Slam is going to be a double edged sword.. having downward control is nice but it also means that we will be missing grinds because of it. We are going to have to get used to the timing because if you hold triangle, you are going down no matter what.

Offline The_Con-Sept

• OH NO IT'S...... []Black Magic[]
    • View Profile
When it comes to grinds I always held down triangle to make sure I didn't forget. I think they should map out the slam down to L2 and tringle. At least something other than triangle by itself. Who knows. This wrench will big a big nuisance for sure. But if these people can pull of a trick combo like that.. then maybe it won't be so hard after all.
[]OH NO IT'S![]
[]Black Magic[]

Offline sk8ace

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yea, we should be able to get used to all the changes fairly quick.